The 8-week Winter CHW Class Registration just opened!
What is a CHW?
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for helping patients and their families to navigate and access community services, other resources, and adopt healthy behaviors. The CHW supports providers and the Case Managers through an integrated approach to care management and community outreach.
What am I signing up for?
- Two mandatory live zoom classes (3.5 hours each)
- Weekly online coursework (self-paced 1-4 hours each week for 8 weeks)
- The online course costs $300 per student. Students are asked to cover $50 and the remainder is covered by grants and donations.
- Access to Nevada’s health leaders who will mentor you on your journey
Do you have any employer programs?
- Employers may book an 8-week class for 15-25 students for $4,500 (in-person or hybrid available)
- Field Placement vary from $700 to $1,200. Please contact our team with the placement requirements if you need your students to complete this program.
- Sign up for our employer class and mentorship
Core 8-Week CHW Class
Major Donors and Grants have kept this course affordable for CHW students. We’d like to acknowledge the CDC, HRSA, and Catholic Charities for their support of our training fund.
Program requirements and training standards for Community Health Workers (CHWs) vary widely among states. Some states require (CHWs) to have state-level certification, completion of an approved training program and training on specific skills. A number of educational institutions offer courses, certificates, or degrees in the CHW field. On-the-job training is offered to improve capacities of CHWs and enhance their standards of practice. Certification at the state level recognizes and legitimizes the work of CHWs and opens up potential reimbursement opportunities for CHW services.
As of March 2022, there are three educational options for Community Health Workers in Nevada. In order to pursue certification, a CHW must complete CHW education from a Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH) approved course. Those courses are offered at the College of Southern Nevada (CSN), Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC), the Nevada Community Health Worker Association (NvCHWA), and the Washington State training program.